Posted: 12:58 am Friday, January 17th, 2014

Update: After wavering, Chris Wilson takes USC job after all

By Chip Towers

See tweet above …

ATHENS – Todd Grantham was rather infamously introduced at Louisville as the new defensive coordinator on Thursday and the Washington Redskins announced that Kirk Olivadotti had been hired as inside linebackers. But if you’ve been paying attention like me, you may have noticed that Chris Wilson has yet to be named the new defensive line coach at Southern Cal.

There’s a reason for that. According to sources familiar with Wilson’s dealings with the Trojans and their new head coach Steve Sarkisian, Wilson is wavering. And who could blame him? That’s a long, long way to move your family one year after you just moved them a long way from somewhere else.

But that has very much been Wilson’s M.O. since he has been in coaching. In the 21 years since he started in the business as a graduate assistant at Indiana State, Wilson has changed employers 12 times. That’s fewer than two years per stop. He even had two jobs in one year, going from Army in the spring of 2000 to Colorado that fall. His longest stop has been at his alma mater, Oklahoma, where he stayed from 2005-09 as defensive ends coach and picked up the title of special teams coordinator halfway through.

I’m not exactly sure what’s going on now. Wilson hasn’t answered my phone calls or messages for the last few days. Having been defensive coordinator at Mississippi State before he came to Georgia, I’m sure that’s a position he’d like to hold again. But based on the chain of events as Mark Richt described them this week, the Bulldogs never would have gotten a chance to even acknowledge his interest if he actually expressed it this week. They settled on Jeremy Pruitt in one day and hired him the next.

In the meantime, the very carousel-nature of the coaching business requires one to be on their toes at all times. So Wilson attended the recent AFCA convention in Indianapolis to put out feelers. He interviewed with Alabama about its defensive line position but didn’t get it. Then at some point Southern Cal made contact. He said no thanks initially, they went back at him, he accepted and now he’s having second thoughts.

Sounds like recruiting, doesn’t it?

The real X factor in this equation is Wilson’s wife Tina and his teen-age children, Caleb and Colby. In fact, Caleb is a college prospect himself as a dual-sport athlete in football and basketball at North Oconee High. He’s a rising senior, Class of 2015, and coming off an injury. Not sure how he might feel about remaking himself yet again out West, but I’d be willing to guess.

But coaching families are strong. They’re like military families in that they’re used to sticking together and making new friends quickly. And the money these days, well, there’s just not many other professions where they’re throwing it around like they are in college and pro football. Maybe Wilson just took a closer look at real estate in the Los Angeles area and decided he wasn’t getting as big a raise as he initially thought.

I’ll say this, though: Wilson did a great job with the Bulldogs this past season. I’d imagine they’d be happy to have him back.

At least for one more year.

Pistol66
Pistol66

You made this whole thing up so the fact that key recruits had just lost the last defensive assistant coach wouldn't hurt so bad!  The facts are still the same, uga has ONE defensive coach and he is brand new and inexperienced!  The recruiting is in shambles and him and Coach Richt are flying all over the southeast to stop the bleeding! uga is a program that is falling and the other schools are smelling blood in the water!

gordon7737
gordon7737

Former Bulldog Odell Collins died yesterday

Dawg350
Dawg350

I hope we add w few more DL in this class. Especially after Russell left!

Dawg350
Dawg350

Why do we have to sign in every time??

ThomasBrown
ThomasBrown

DawgNole September 5th, 20125:22 pm

“I’m on a Tech blog because I follow Tech and pull for the Jackets in all games except those with UGA and FSU.”

DawgNole January 4th, 2013 6:13 pm

"Half of me pulled for the Dawgs, half for the Noles–depending on the game situation. Mixed feelings, torn, and still don’t know who I’d pull for if they play again."

DawgNole January 5th, 2013 10:38 pm

_________________________________________________

“You’re the only one who appears to have an issue with that.”

_________________________________________________

DawgNole at8:00 p.m. Dec. 6, 2013

“True that, TB--then and now.”

DawgNole at4:48 p.m. Nov. 26, 2013

“I pulled for both teams in the '03 Sugar Bowl.”

DawgNole September 3rd, 2012 6:33 pm

“I pull for both teams pretty much equally–and intensely"

Swamp Thing September 3rd, 2012 4:54 pm

“DawgNole (which end is the Dawg and which end is the Nole?)”

DawgNole October 16th, 2012 10:38 pm

“I said if UGA didn’t beat Missouri it likely would be another year of beating the pansies and losing to the others. Halfway through the season, we’ve beaten the pansies and lost to one of the two others.”

"It's well established that the Dawgs' schedules in '11 and '12 were not what they could've been in terms on strength."

"FSU's schedule is weak, no doubt, like Bama's, like Ohio State's, like UGA's in '11 and '12, like those of many other teams."

NCDawg
NCDawg

I think at least 2 of Coach Pruitt's FSU staff will end up in Athens.  Of course that depends on what FSU does.  More than likely whoever they bring in will want to bring their own guys with them.

It might be noted that Charles Kelly is listed this way in FSU staff :Charles Kelly – Linebackers Coach and Special Teams Coordinator.

I think that would be someone that we would want to grab ASAP.

NCDawg
NCDawg

Coach Richt could not go the promote from within route this time.  It would not have matter who was on the staff.  That bridge has been burned.  If Willie had done an ok job and moved on of his own accord then we would have probably seen a inside promotion.  Garner pouted about getting passed up when Grantham was hired too.

Sorry Coach Wilson, Willie screwed it up for you guys.  It would have been the exact opposite if Martinez had maintained the tradition and fielded "VanGorder-esque" defenses.  Instead he flopped and Coach Richt will not go to that well without overwhelming success from the former staff.

RedandBlackDAWG
RedandBlackDAWG

Red and Black DAWG Ignores Troll's Comments

I think the uncertainty of knowing if he would be retained on the new DC's staff probably made the decision final for him.  USC will pay better because the cost of living out there is at least 50% higher than it is in Georgia. I don't know if he is doing any better by this move but at least he knows he has a job for at least the coming season.  There were probably not any assurances of that with a new DC.  I hope that the AD and CMR allow Pruitt to assemble the defensive staff with folks he wants and not be hampered by too many money considerations. The old adage, "You Have To Spend Money, To Make Money", surely applies here. In this case they need to spend money, in order to win big and get at least an SEC championship. With the new play off system now in place, the competition for a play off spot is going to be very tough and the teams that can stand out as a cut above the rest, will get the shot at making the play offs. The SEC champ will most likely be one of those spots, so UGA has a high fence to climb, to be considered.

Dawg350
Dawg350

I hope we find the right coaches to replace the one's who left! I agree that it looks like Richt is waiting to see what happens with the FSU staff!

Dawg350
Dawg350

We just got a commitment from Terry Goodwin 2015 class. They have him in as a athlete!

Adamsran
Adamsran

I would imagine that CCW felt slighted, by not even being interviewed.  It tells you everything you need to know of where you stand in the pecking order.  It sounds like his family was happy and settled in Georgia, so  do feel bad for them. And depending on where you move in Southern California, it can  be heaven and it can be 'not so great.

Lets wish him well...

C-Kirk
C-Kirk

Southern Cal is pre -season #25 and Georgia #8 , What was Wilson thinking. Southern Cal will not have the Depth until they can carry 85 scholarship players. If Pruitt get's the help I am hearing he may get and this staff can stay together at least 3 to 5 years , Georgia will finish in the top 10 every year and could get in the playoff a few times. Wilson sure didn't think this one through.

I think if we have any problems it will be the Offense trying to stay up with the Defense. Our Defense have had great players for a few years now. What we were lacking was the Coaches to go along with the player talent.

NCDawg
NCDawg

It be great if we could get somebody to really put a lock on Metro Atlanta.  But getting the best onfield coaches we can get is first priority.  We have guys that can bring in the talent.  Funny, bu Coach Wilson was the only notable recruiter on the defense side of the ball.  All of our other guys are on offense.  Time to balance that out.

NCDawg
NCDawg

I'm surprsied FSU hasn't moved to fil their DC position yet.  There are hardly any rumors.  The way that falls out will greatly determine who the Dawgs go after.  CJP would love to bring the whole staff I'm sure.

JeffersonDavisHogg
JeffersonDavisHogg

According to the telegraph JP and CMR are focussed more on recruiting than filling the spots on the staff at the moment. They're playing a wait and see with who FSU hires as DC. Apparantly if they hire from outside UGA's gonna pursue Charles Kelly and Sal Sunseri at least in some form. Also hearing talk of Randy Shannon in the mix. Kelly coaches LB's and ST's at FSU. Who knows though but glad the coaching staff is going 90 miles a minute after our current commit's and some others at other schools. Seems CJP has a good relationship with many coaches in HS and the area of Gwinnett County is a brand new top priority....Bout time!.....GO DAWGS

HotDawg
HotDawg

Thank you Coach Wilson....you did a very commendable job with our D-Line.

But gosh, we hardly knew ya.

Good luck.

ChipJones
ChipJones

I love LA. But that's just me.

NCDawg
NCDawg

Good luck Coach Wilson,  You were a DGD.

BCB
BCB

The minute Pruitt was hired Wilson was gone. Wilson wanted the DC job. I hope he doubled his salary because he will need it in LA.

C-Kirk
C-Kirk

Richt and Bobo are Offensive guy's . Richt has needed a Defensive leader who could come in and handle everything on that side without Richt worrying about anything. With Pruitt I think he has finally accomplished that. I can't see Pruitt bring in anyone that won't be a huge step up in Coaching and Recruiting and our Defense and Special Teams will not be a problem anymore.

C-Kirk
C-Kirk

Now Pruitt will have the opportunity to bring in his own people . He is a Defense guy and I don't think that McGarity would have committed this far he he wasn't going to support Pruitt in bring in the best Position Coaches . McGarity offer 2 year contracts and top money . Turning around Georgia's  Defense will look good on any of the Defensive Coaches resume. Especially if it helps bring about Championships.

If our Quarterback's can hold up their part I know for the next 5 years our Running backs will do their part. I think our Offensive Line will be much improved from last year and get better in the next 5 years.

bwell13
bwell13

Hate to see him leave; but like you said Chip his track record states the obvious he doesn't stay at one location long. So enjoy Cali.

C-Kirk
C-Kirk

I will admit Wilson is a good guy and better Coach  but he has a reputation of moving a lot and that is never very good. He needs to stay put for about 5 years to show stability. Georgia would have been perfect because I think Pruitt will turn around our Defensive problems and we will be true to our history for Georgia and the SEC. Defense matters. Too bad Wilson couldn't see the benefit of being apart of our turnaround. He is going to another great school so it isn't like he made a big mistake. Good luck to Wilson.

DawgGoneIt
DawgGoneIt

I am very anxious to see how our defense is going to perform under the direction of Pruitt. He is a teacher first and foremost and that's a great thing. Being able to teach our players what it takes and simplify play calls so they can play fast. You can't play football while trying to take a math test in your head at the same time. In other words, thinking on the field will hinder you from playing fast and making plays. You going against a guy like Jarvis Landry who runs a 4.3, and you're too busy thinking, he's gonna fly past you.

We have the talent. 4 and 5 star players on our defense. Talent has NEVER EVER been the issue at UGA. Ever. We're always getting top notch talent. But coaching the past few years on defense has been suspect. We haven't had a true Dawg defense since Quentin Moses, Greg Blue and company. Time to get back to that nasty defense we're accustomed to seeing from Georgia. Willie Martinez and Todd Grantham were not the right guys. Here's to hoping Pruitt can turn these guys into a hungry defense wanting to feast.

DawgGoneIt
DawgGoneIt

Welp. Guess Pruitt wanted his own crew. Coach Wilson did do a great job with our D-line but as they always say, there's better out there somewhere. Hope the next guy we bring in can do as good a job or even better than Wilson did. Wilson > Garner and it's not even close. Couldn't even get off blocks with Garner.

DirtyDawg
DirtyDawg

Gotta say that Coach Wilson's 'goodbye and thanks for everything' Tweet is the classy way to depart...now as for Grantham, who the hell said he wasn't a jerk? I mean his comments blasting everything and everybody at UGA were the worst I've ever heard from somebody that left of their own accord...assuming he did. Guess we just couldn't come to admit that the guy was not only a jerk, but a jerk of the first order. Recall a Sports Illustrated writer, in response to a question about Jeff George...he said that the guy was probably the biggest jerk in the NFL, and that if you knew anything about the NFL that was saying something. Now it appears that Grantham is vying for that title at Louisville. Maybe that's why Petrino hired him...so he wouldn't end up with it by default.

thebucket
thebucket

The above tweet from Coach Wilson is called CLASS. Perhaps his former coordinator could use some.

shameful
shameful

Coach  Wilson did a great job this year. It would be nice if he has changed his mind and stays with UGA.

DawginNY
DawginNY

I will admit that I am sorry he and Coach Olivadotti are gone.  But there are some good candidates out there.  For DL, I would be thrilled with Orgeron or Tracy Rocker.  At the LB positions, I would be thrilled with Randy Shannon, John Thompson, or Manny Diaz.

DawginNY
DawginNY

Macon Telegraph reporting that Wilson has officially accepted USC job.  Bring on Coach O!

GTBob
GTBob

UGA fans said yesterday that Richt was cleaning house and that they were glad this guy was gone. Can he really come back now?

Snagglepuss
Snagglepuss

@Pistol66 Personally I believe that UGA made a really great hire in Pruitt and they will get good/maybe great assistants.

This is the most united DAWG NATION that I can remember but if any little/big thing goes wrong in Pruitt's first season I fear that the DFINO(Dawg fans in name only) will burn these pages up with their impatience and lack of a real understanding of what it takes to run a college football team.

DawgNole
DawgNole

@Dawg350

Good question, which means it probably won't be answered.

DawgNole
DawgNole

@ThomasBrown

And your point is? Mindless, as always.

Unlike you, I stand by my posts, which isn't hard to do, because also unlike you, I don't lie, twist, distort, evade, deny, exaggerate, and misquote on blogs.

POAD2013
POAD2013

@NCDawg the Ex-TECH coach? Why would UGa want an ex Tech defensive coach?

Dawg350
Dawg350

Their was really no need to interview Wilson. We don't need a DC who got demoted at Mississippi state! End of story. Olivadotti has never even been a DC! Too much risk with him too!

ThomasBrown
ThomasBrown

@C-Kirk

I'm not concerned about Chris Wilson.  Whatever he contributed to special teams was of no use, and his quarterback sacks didn't show much despite all the talent we handed him.  Even the one thing he did teach to tackle on running plays, saw his results not that awesome.  And, I would not exactly say he filled the coffers here with top-ranked recruits.  As for the results in the games he coached us, they are the worst results of the Mark Richt Era.

Out with the old, in with the new.

The new cannot possibly be as bad as the old.

23 points per game career here Todd Grantham

21 points per game career here Willie Martinez

16 points per game career here Brian VanGorder

Good riddance and don't let the door hit you in the bum on the way out.

I do not need anyone who does not want to be here.  Not in the least.  He's been out trying to get out of here for a long time, and continued even after Todd Grantham was gone.

P.O. Goodbye, auf Wiedersehen.

JeffersonDavisHogg
JeffersonDavisHogg

@NCDawg From what I read into it is that FSU's probably looking around at an outside hire. I wouldn't be surprized to hear that the staff at FSU has already been contacted  by CJP and they are playing wait and see as well. I predict they jump ship and show up in Athens. Guessing the backup plan is Rumph( the former Al DL coach, and Shannon) but thats just guessing on my part, as is all these rumors on forums...I took it that there is some bad blood for some reason in Gwinnett county with some off the HS coaches and UGA but seemingly a couple of the coaches up there are encouraged by what pruitt brings to the table and are impressed already. We shall see

Snagglepuss
Snagglepuss

@C-Kirk

That's what happens when your HC(CMR) is allowed to hire who he believes is the best, not like it was in 2010 when Richt had to settle for his 4th choice at DC!!!!!!!!!!!!

Snagglepuss
Snagglepuss

@C-Kirk

Great School??????????????

Aren't they still on probation for paying players!!!!!!!!!!

Farcas
Farcas

Yes but, I sure hope they keep Johnson the best GT coach in their history! I bet GT Bob(ble head) feels the same way.

Snagglepuss
Snagglepuss

@GTBob Did anyone really say they were glad Miller was leaving?????

Snagglepuss
Snagglepuss

@ThomasBrown@C-Kirk

"I am not concerned"        "I do not need anyone"

Wow dude!!!!!!!!!  I didn't realize you were doing the UGA hiring or maybe building a team for yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CasualObserver
CasualObserver

@DawgNole You don't really expect him to have a point, do you?

DawgNole
DawgNole

@ThomasBrown @DawgNole

Yes--assuming you copied/pasted them accurately. I remember them, and I don't hide from them. No reason to. You shouldn't hide from yours either.

Again, your point?