Posted: 2:49 pm Thursday, February 20th, 2014

Richt on dismissing Harvey-Clemons: ‘Everybody needs to abide by rules’

By Chip Towers

ATHENS —  Georgia coach Mark Richt did not issue any sort of statement or even a comment when the Bulldogs’ issued a two-sentence release earlier this week announcing that starting safety Josh Harvey-Clemons had been dismissed from the team. UGA’s football boss had little of substance to add when he talked to reporters on a teleconference call on Thursday. What he did say came only after some prodding.

“The only thing I’ll say about that is I want to wish him well,” Richt said at first.

“Is that all?” he was asked again.

“Yeah. I hope he finds a good home and finishes his career in a real positive way,” Richt replied.

Neither UGA nor Richt have confirmed the suspicion that Harvey-Clemons’ dismissal was the result of a third violation of the school’s drug-use policy. Sources confirmed to The AJC last month that the four-game suspension he was in the midst of serving was due to failing a drug test for marijuana.

Richt was asked if Thursday if he had addressed Harvey-Clemons’ dismissal with the team.

“Not really,” Richt said. “I think the guys understand. Word travels fast. Guys understand that there are certain rules everybody needs to abide by and if they don’t they could possibly lose their privilege to play at Georgia. You know, there’s a consequence for any action that we have that’s not within the Georgia way, so to speak. So whether it’s getting up early and pulling the sleds or whether it’s missing some playing time or whether it’s being dismissed from the team, it’s a consequence for anything that’s contrary to anything we think will help us win.”

The teleconference was initially set up because numerous beat reporters had contacted Richt about getting his reaction to the proposed 10-second substitution rule to slow down up-tempo offenses in college football. He eventually got around to addressing that.

“We started going fast at Florida State in 1992 and in 1993 we were going at break-neck speed,” Richt said. “We were going as fast as I could until we got to Georgia. ACC officials when I was there were getting the ball on the ground and getting out of the way. It wasn’t quite happening that way in the SEC. Who knows what the reasons were. But I will say before I got in the league, there wasn’t a rule where if we sub the defense has the right to sub. There were no rules on that, so we were really wearing some people out with that.

“The way it sits now, I don’t know how many teams snap the ball short of 10 seconds. When I saw that my immediate reaction was to I was curious to see how many teams snap it before that and looking at our situation, would it really affect us in a negative way? … The other thing I thought of was, like everybody else, was there truly (a safety issue). I mean, I think if you can train offensive players to play five or six plays in a row, you can train defensive players to play that many plays in a row, too. So I don’t really know if it’s a health-issue deal. I personally don’t think so. But if there’s evidence otherwise it will be interesting to see.”

ColumbusDawg

DawginLex, I have NEVER said that Mason should have played ahead of Murray. I have been critical of Murray's HORRENDOUS turnovers in the most precarious situations in big games that I believe went a long way towards UGA loss of said big games. The latest that mattered was Clemson 2013. As I watched it unfold, I could not BELIEVE I was seeing the fifth year senior at QB position for UGA once again fumble the ball away on the Dawgs ten yard line, seven free point for home team Clemson. This was the norm throughout Murray's career at UGA. There is NO denying it. Stafford was just about as bad. I want to see a QB that protects the football, makes good decisions, and does not try to force plays that all too often end up in the opponents hands. That's all.

Delusionaldog
Delusionaldog

Chip, how bout a new dog blog?

350's enthusiasm is waning.

(look it up 350)

Princess_Leia
Princess_Leia

Whoever has the Kool-Aid concession is getting rich.

Again.

georgiadawg70
georgiadawg70

How long will it be before Josh signs with Auburn

ColumbusDawg

DawgByte, I have more confidence in Jeremy Pruitt getting the back end of the defense fixed than I do Mark Richt making the correct decisions on the offensive side of the ball, simply because of his history of promising players this and that, whether they deserve it or not. For that matter, from what I have seen of Bauta he looks like he doesn't know whether to crap or wind his watch when he gets the ball, so why is he #2 behind Mason? On the bright side, it looks as if J.J. will be given a look at DB after all. IMO, Douglas should become a fullback, because the two studs are on their way, and are BOTH way too good not to play, a lot. Preliminary reports, if accurate was that Marshall may not be ready to go, and may benefit from a redshirt, but we'll see on that one. The other thing Richt can't hide from is the OL, but I have gotten some good reports from a source that says Bobo means it when he said OL will be stronger this year. Again, we'll see.

ColumbusDawg

Natureboy, The questions that need asking are as follows: Do you expect to be able to field a stronger OL for 2014 than in previous years, and if not, why not? Will there be an all out, fairly accessed QB competition with winner takes all implications for frontrunner status leading into fall camp? If not ,why not? Folks want to hear how the platoon of players who suffered the ACL injuries in 2013 are coming along. You know, those questions.

Dawg350

Nothing to it....let Pruitt do it!

ColumbusDawg

Come on Chip, JHC dismissal old news. Time to talk FOOTBALL. You need to go get some football stories. Time for IMPORTANT UGA news. How are the many injuries shaping up to top line players? Go get in Bobo's face, ask him the tough questions!

ColumbusDawg

Dawg350, Actually, it should be "Todd Gurley is a beast when he is healthy and in shape". Now don't get me wrong, I know that staying in cardio shape, or the "shape" one needs to be in to avoid becoming winded is hard to maintain when one can not run, as was the case with Gurley II after his ankle injury. That being said, what this means for Gurley is that he will have to work extra hard this offseason to regain the agility lost after the injury that never returned in 2013. He absolutely CAN NOT be the second coming of Clowney, and just think that he can skate by and go on to the NFL after the season, because the two studs that will arrive in Athens this summer are coming for his job, and he better darn well know it, and take the coming threat seriously. I don't claim to know what Marshall's injury status is, only what I have heard, and that is he is trying to do some running, but is a long way from being back to normal. Chubb and Michel are NORMAL. They are not injured, and should be given EVERY chance to tote the rock in 2014. When Marshall DOES get healthy and is ready for the field, he must be taught by someone, I have  no idea who that would be on the UGA staff, (wide receiver at running backs coach position, knows little on the subject), maybe Hershel would volunteer to do it, to learn to break the line of scrimmage without someone blowing in his direction and knocking him off his feet. Fighting your way through the LOS is a BIG part of being a top notch back in the SEC, and Marshall ain't got it. Chubb does, big time just like Gurley II. I have reservations about the state of the UGA program. It looks as if the defense got a unexpected chance to get better with the new coaches, as does special teams, but the offense looks to take a step back if Richt is not willing to be aggressive in his approach. If Hutson Mason is the best choice that UGA has for a QB for 2014, then Richt has failed miserably, again. The OL not only has to replace three players that were not very good to begin with, with better players, or the offense will suffer. It is one thing to point to the defensive shortcomings, but most of this team's problems are squarely on Richt's shoulders, and I don't know if he has it in him to correct them.

ColumbusDawg

It is hard for me to believe that JHC was stupid enough to fail another drug test since he was already suspended. More likely very bad attitude towards three game suspension, and may be seeing his body grow out of the safety position. JHC was NOT near the top of the depth chart in the linebacking corps, so who knows? Matt drills finishing up, and already more talk about position changes. Looks like J.J will be looked at as a DB after all. New LB coach getting everyone fired up in Athens, even ragging on Richt about his cowardly return game theory. Every part of the football program looks to have a chance to improve under new leadership except  most important. QB. Mason ain't it. Noodle arm. Surely Richt is not going back on the white hot, scalding seat because of a promise made to a sub par QB. EXPECTATIONS FROM MONEY MEN ARE SKY HIGH. Make the right decision Richt.

Dawg350

UGA is loading up baby! We will have the best recruiting class in years. Rocker is a proven champion at coaching and as a player. Pruitt and Ekeler are awesome coaches that know how to win! Beware of the dawg in 2014 & 2015! Book it!

JaySly
JaySly

The dogs will be back big in 2014---the best D in the SEC.  The SEC east will be way down---missouri loses a bunch of talent and florida and tennessee will suck again.  Georgai wins the SEC east easily and beats alabama in the title game---mark it down!

ThomasBrownUGA
ThomasBrownUGA

DawgNole September 5th, 2012  5:22 pm

“I’m on a Tech blog because I follow Tech and pull for the Jackets in all games except those with UGA and FSU.”

DawgNole January 4th, 2013 6:13 pm

"Half of me pulled for the Dawgs, half for the Noles–depending on the game situation. Mixed feelings, torn, and still don’t know who I’d pull for if they play again."

DawgNole at 8:00 p.m. Dec. 6, 2013

“True that, TB--then and now.”

DawgNole January 5th, 2013 10:38 pm

_________________________________________________

“You’re the only one who appears to have an issue with that.”

_________________________________________________

Swamp Thing September 3rd, 2012 4:54 pm

“DawgNole (which end is the Dawg and which end is the Nole?)”

TeddyJackEddy
TeddyJackEddy

Lil, Nicky is the most self serving butt rag in college football. Anybody who has observed him for long understands why he took this stance. He wants to slow down Gus Malzahn's offense. It has nothing to do with safety concerns.

Dawg350

Nobody in the country can stop Todd gurley when he is healthy.....Todd gurley is a monster baby!

mcr144
mcr144

Georgia's WRs are aweful and have been for some time now.

Dawg350

All of you trolls are ruining the board...but you ain't gonna stop UGA from taking over CFB in 2014 and 2015! We back baby!

gtcaryd
gtcaryd

Where the heck is an article on the Spurrier opinion of the rule change? Come on guys.

thebucket
thebucket

Everyone needs to read the article, I think it was USA Today, where Steve Spurrier sounded off on the The Saban Rule. The Old Ball Coach was as candid as always!

ThomasBrownUGA
ThomasBrownUGA

by gtcaryd 26 minutes ago

@ThomasBrown "You accuse me of trolling telling UGA "fans" how your football players know how to read and write. Thats not true i was telling your dumbazz that, i apoligize to the other fans. And your going to have to ease up on that dating and valentine talk, starting to give me the creeps again. and as far as what they study i can tell you its not housing. and please dont call me sir. Good Grief!"

Posted by gtcaryd at 7:43 a.m. Jan. 17, 2014

"TomAss please try to remember, and i understand your a UGA Alum so it might be touch and go for a while. You see our players can actually read and write"

____________________________________

You did not make this statement ?Sure you did. You have never said you did not, and I've posted it since.

Who was, when you've never said anyone was using your login here ?

It certainly looks like you trying to talk here.

Posted by gtcaryd at7:43 a.m. Jan. 17, 2014

"TomAss please try to remember, and i understand your a UGA Alum so it might be touch and go for a while. You see our players can actually read and write and we still dont come close to underachieving as much as your storied, vaunted, elite Georgie program. Hows that Housing Degree working for ya Tommy boy."

You said your football players at Georgie tek can actually read and write, and y'all still don't come close to underachieving as much as our storied vaunted elite Georgie program.

Well, actually you said "your" "a" "UGA Alumn"...you see our players can actually read and write.

You're an alumni of The University of Georgia...you see our players can actually read and write while myself, gtcaryd can scarcely write you, you're, there, they're, their, an or a before consonant or vowel in the very sentence I am trying to put your school's Elite football program down for not being able to read and write.

One would think that a Georgie tek fan would be able in the very sentence claiming your players can read and write would not say a but an UGA, would know the difference between you're and your and that you could say correctly that I am one of the alumni here.

Obviously that is too much to ask.

Indeed, attempting to claim you did not say this.

Yeah, you did.Thats not true, apoligize, your going to have to ease up, its not housing, hows that housing, etc. precisely but did say it son.

Bucky

I can't wait for your delusional dog name to get banned as well.

DawginLex
DawginLex

@Princess_Leia Did you run out of tickle piles to participate in at Tech?

Is that why you spend so much time here?

Dawg350

Princess go watch every point scored against vs tech video! Come on you will love it! Lol

DawginLex
DawginLex

@ColumbusDawg Who has Richt promised anything to?

That's a bunch of hateraide crapola and you know it

You and others bashed Richt for 4 years and screamed for Mason to play ahead of Murray. Now all of a sudden, it is obvious Richt was right and that Murray was light years better.

Richt does not promise anyone anything that they don't earn.

you really need to stop spewing that garbage that is totally a lie

DawgByte
DawgByte

@ColumbusDawg  The only people who care about the JHC story now are the sports media.

Regarding the QB situation I think it's Mason's to lose. I think Bauta and Ramsey will get their reps, but unless Mason implodes he'll be the starter come season opener.

I believe a Spring depth chart has been publicized, so we should know who will be in a 2 man rotation across the OL. I'm hoping Greg Pyke can solidify the open Guard position. He's big and strong with loads of potential. LT is still the biggest mystery.

My biggest concern is still the DB situation. Last year was an episode of the Keystone Cops back there and we've got the same cast of characters (minus JHC) returning, so this is an area we'll need to worry about. We won't have a chance of seeing inside the Georgia Dome without that group having a miraculous turnaround.

Natureboy809
Natureboy809

@ColumbusDawg

What question should he ask Bobo?  Something like, "coach Bobo- you were just named national assistant coach of the year, and you offense has been setting all sorts of records, despite a rash of injuries.  Why are some fans still stupid enough to complain about the job you're doing there?"

Columbus dawg

Yep....that was a pretty bad injury...Todd gurley was lucky to even play the rest of the year...he turned his ankle completely around....lucky he didn't have to have surgery.

Columbus

Who cares about JHC.....he has an addiction to weed! Let Valdosta st worry about his addiction! Btw great post.

gtcaryd
gtcaryd

@ThomasBrown Good Morning ThomAss, got out some more classics i see. Maybe you could put together a greatest posts in paperback.

Mc14444444444444444444444444444

What a dumb arse troll comment! Our WR's are off the chain! UGA fixing to rule the world! Malcom Mitchell and Michael Bennett are beast!

gtcaryd
gtcaryd

@thebucket Yea, basically the Ole Ball Coach said Homey dont play that.

gtcaryd
gtcaryd

@ThomasBrown I know your all wound up Tom so i will say it slow. I said those negative, nasty things about UGA to bother you and maybe 1 or 2 other posters. You apparently have all my archives of post there so pull up the ones where i wished the dawgs good luck each week. I just got tired of your hateful, spiteful things you said about the school i support. So i decided to give instead of recieve. As The Carpenters sang back in the day, "weve only just begun" you twit.

DawgNole
DawgNole

@DawginLex @Princess_Leia

What you doin' on here, DiL? Thought you were done with Princess and all them other "idiots and trolls and haters" (see below):

DawginLex at 4:52 p.m. Jan. 5, 2014

It's DawgInLex

This will be my last post on these blogs in 2014

I have decided to not waste any more time here arguing with idiots and trolls and haters

POAD2013
POAD2013

@Dawg350  is doing his best Leo DiCaprio hanging off the Titanic yelling We are King of the World.......350 forgets the Titanic Sinks.

Card

You watch your pathetic mouth troll boy! UGA has all of the ingredients to win it all for the next 2 years,...Pruitt is bringing the pain baby!

DawgNole
DawgNole

@DawginLex @DawgNole @Princess_Leia

Yeah, kind of addictive, aren't they (gals and blogs)? Glad you didn't leave (I'm sure Buckeye is, too!). Dawgs need all the allies we can get with all these "idiots and trolls and haters" on here.

Poad

You're probably in love with Leo! Lmao!

Johnny poad

An english bulldog would whip any of your pathetic dogs you have. As a matter of fact I would kick and slap one of your poodle dogs!

Remarkable3
Remarkable3

@POAD2013  Yap, Yap, Yap! Like a little Chihuahua barking at the BIG Dawgs. Woof, Woof, woof.

POAD2013
POAD2013

@gtcaryd 350 is already Drunk and Stoned watching the US Hockey team.