Posted: 11:06 am Wednesday, August 13th, 2014
By Chip Towers
ATHENS — Back over at the Butts-Mehre football complex this morning as the Bulldogs conduct practice number 15 of 29 this preseason. That’s, of course, counting yesterday’s practice, which happened to be conducted in a pool. They are in full pads this morning and will come back tonight in shells to complete the last two-a-days session of camp.
Lots to get to from this morning’s 14-minute media viewing period, most of it on the injury front:
- The most notable new injury appears to be Reggie Davis. The sophomore wide receiver had his left hand completely clubbed up in a cast. No details on the severity and/or extend of the injury — hopefully coach Mark Richt will provide some when he speaks to reporters after the morning practice — but obviously it’s never good to see that at a position required to use those hands on every play.
- Lots of green, non-contact jerseys among the receiving corps, including Isaiah McKenzie, Chris Conley, Kenneth Towns, Justin Scott-Wesley and walkon Clay Johnson. There was good news at that position, however, as Jonathan Rumph was back in a regular jersey and looks to be fully cleared.
- Some more good news on the injury front: Cornerback Shattle Fenteng is out of green and back to practicing full speed and all of Georgia’s tight ends were a full go without limitations, including frequent absentee Jordan Davis.
- Another new member of the green jersey club, at least from my observation, is outside linebacker Davin Bellamy. But he was fully dressed out and appeared to be participating. He’s out for the first two games via suspension for his DUI arrest this summer. Safety Dominick Sanders remained in green.
- Fullback Merritt Hall was not on the field at all this morning, and there is increasing evidence that he may be out for a while. That starts with the fact that Detric Bing-Dukes said yesterday that his move to fullback from inside linebacker is for the entire season.
- Speaking of the fullbacks, the order in which running backs coach Bryan McClendon was working them Wednesday was senior walkon Taylor Maxey with the first team, followed by fellow walkons Cameron Faulkner and Christian Payne and then finally Bing-Dukes.
- The Bulldogs were missing noseguard Chris Mayes and Lamont Gaillard again this morning. Mayes’ absence should start becoming a bit of a concern at this point. Georgia hasn’t said what his malady is but he, too, has had past problems with concussions.
- The Bulldogs are trying to figure when to scrimmage on Saturday. They are having to work around Fans Picture Day at Sanford Stadium (2-6 p.m.). It is on the schedule for 8:30 a.m. Saturday but the coaches aren’t sure if they want to get the players out of bed as early as they’d need to meet first, then conduct a morning practice. They’re considering moving it to late at night as the players will be off on Sunday and Monday (first day of classes). No decision was made as of Wednesday night.
That’s all for now. Check the UGA Page on AJC.com all day for updates.