- 7:44 am Tuesday, October 14th, 2014 by Chip Towers
ATHENS – The University of Georgia’s vigorous defense of football player Todd Gurley in the face of NCAA allegations has raised the ire of some former swimmers and UGA alums. They say that legendary swimming and diving coach Jack Bauerle hasn’t been afforded the same support by the school.
Former Olympians and All-Americans Kristy Kowal and Kara Forbis sent to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution what they called an “open letter to the University of Georgia” complaining that Bauerle was not been similarly supported in his ongoing NCAA issue. Whitney Goodstone, a UGA business school graduate, also submitted an opinion piece that made [More]
- 9:58 am Tuesday, July 8th, 2014 by Chip Towers
THE TEN AT 10:
1. A lot of folks aren’t sure how good Georgia’s defense will be in 2014, but everybody seems to be fairly certain the Bulldogs’ linebackers are going to be good. And I tend to agree with that.
Three of Georgia’s four linebackers were named to the Bednarik Award watch list released on Monday. Now say what you will about watch lists (more on that later), but the Bednarik trophy is supposed to go to the nation’s best overall defensive player, so Georgia having three representations gives you an idea why the reputable Phil Steele has ranked [More]
- 9:58 am Wednesday, July 2nd, 2014 by Chip Towers
I’m actually on vacation this week, as well as half of the civilized world as it appears to me. But I didn’t want to deprive anyone of their fundamental right to read “The Ten at 10.” So I slapped this together. Hope you enjoy, and happy Independence Day everyone! …
THE TEN AT 10:
1. Hope you got a chance to read the feature story I wrote recently on tight end Jay Rome. The junior from Valdosta finally appears to be close to healthy and he predicted he would be ready to play on Aug. 31 against Clemson. With the [More]
- 10:30 am Monday, March 24th, 2014 by Chip Towers
ATHENS – Harvey Humphries has barely slept in the last 48 hours and there’s only a whisper left in his voice. But he is one happy Bulldog.
Humphries is senior associate head coach for Georgia’s men’s and women’s swim teams. But this season, with coach Jack Bauerle mired in controversy, Humphries has been more like an interim head coach. And it has been going very well in the interim.
With Humphries at the helm, the Lady Bulldogs this past weekend secured their sixth national championship in Minneapolis. And it wasn’t close. Georgia rolled up 528 points in the [More]
- 6:23 pm Wednesday, January 8th, 2014 by Chip Towers
Q&A WITH GEORGIA AD GREG McGARITY, PART II
I had a sit-down interview with Greg McGarity earlier this week. We talked about a myriad of topics, but primarily about football. I filed a Q&A based on that interview that’s running on MyAJC.com and Thursday’s print editions of the newspaper. But I wasn’t able to include it all.
Some of our conversation might not have risen to the level of public interest, but I’ll include the bulk of it here that did not make the cut for the premium. As always, I’m interested in getting the feedback of readers and finding out how [More]