- 11:19 am Wednesday, August 20th, 2014 by Chip Towers
ATHENS – OK, so yesterday was a little unusual in terms of practice coverage. Normally Georgia would conduct a workout, I’d attend the media observation period early on along with other reporters and file a quick report afterward based on what I’d seen, then write some stories based on post-practice interviews.
As coach Mark Richt said, the Bulldogs “tried something different” yesterday. They practiced at Sanford Stadium and invited the UGA student body to come to watch. Thankfully, they invited the media to come as well, but that came with several preconditions. We could not take pictures or video, we could [More]
- 11:26 am Thursday, August 7th, 2014 by Chip Towers
ATHENS – Kolton Houston is listed as a senior on the Georgia football roster and he is approaching the 2014 season as if it will be his last.
But there remains the possibility that Houston could be back with the Bulldogs for another year. He could petition the NCAA for a sixth year of eligibility. He just won’t know if that will be an option for several months.
“From what I understand, that comes at the end of the season around bowl week,” said Houston, an offensive lineman from Buford. “That’s when all that kind of stuff happens. So I know for [More]
- 1:41 pm Monday, July 21st, 2014 by Chip Towers
1. I enjoyed hanging out for a while Saturday with my 7-year-old son at the annual UGA Countdown to Kickoff extravaganza. The charitable event, featuring current and former Georgia football players, moved to Sanford Stadium this year and that appeared to be a hit for the hundreds of Bulldogs fans that turned out despite morning rains.
I know it was for my son. Hardcore fans like getting the autographs of and pictures with current and former Georgia football stars. As for my son, he was totally jacked about being able to run barefooted from goal line to goal line on [More]
- 12:55 pm Thursday, July 10th, 2014 by Chip Towers
ATHENS – Georgia has a defensive depth chart.
If that doesn’t seem like news to you, you haven’t been paying attention to the Bulldogs since Jeremy Pruitt took over as defensive coordinator. He left spring practice saying he wouldn’t have a depth chart until Georgia opens the season against Clemson on Aug. 30 and maybe not then. His point: The competition for playing time is ongoing.
So why now? Well, the bottom line is the Bulldogs simply had to have a depth chart to include in their 2014 media guide, which came out this week. I picked up my copy on Thursday.
- 10:02 am Tuesday, April 15th, 2014 by Chip Towers
THE TEN AT 10
1. I talked to quarterback Aaron Murray on Monday about his big debut as a professional in UGA’s Pro Day on Wednesday morning. Here’s a link to the story that will run in Wednesday’s newspaper.
Murray has already turned some heads with his recovery from last November’s knee surgery. Just 4 1/2 months since having ACL reconstruction surgery, Murray says he is fully recovered and will prove it to NFL executives and scouts Wednesday morning.
I talked to several people about Murray’s pro prospects and right now I’m having a hard time finding a dissenting opinion. Where [More]