- 1:59 pm Friday, August 1st, 2014 by Chip Towers
ATHENS – I’ll be filing a detailed report later today that you’ll be able to read on MyAJC.com about Georgia’s off-season disciplinary issues and the Bulldogs’ reactions to them. But in the meantime I wanted to go ahead and share what Georgia coach Mark Richt and some of his players had to say about it at UGA’s Preseason Football Media Day on Friday.
Richt was unflinching and unapologetic in answering the media’s questions about whether the Bulldogs’ have a discipline problem.
“Well, the guys that misbehave have a discipline problem,” Richt said. “That’s why we discipline them. The rest of the guys [More]
- 1:30 pm Thursday, July 31st, 2014 by Chip Towers
Georgia was picked 12th in the USA Today coaches poll released Thursday afternoon.
What do I think about that? Not much.
I’m not one to say preseason polls are meaningless. You best be represented somewhere in the preseason Top 25 to be in position to be in the Top 4 at the end of the year. But it’s not a requirement.
I’m trying to remember where Auburn was this time last year. Can somebody remind me?
Anyway, here’s the assessment of the Bulldogs by Eddie Timanus, who compiled the capsules for USA today:
12. Georgia: The good news for coach Mark Richt and [More]
- 1:15 pm Wednesday, July 30th, 2014 by Chip Towers
ATHENS – Georgia players will report for preseason camp on Thursday night and the Bulldogs will hit Woodruff Practice Fields for their first practice of the 2014 football season on Friday afternoon. In anticipation of that UGA’s two coordinators — Mike Bobo on offense and Jeremy Pruitt on defense — were made available to beat reporters briefly on Wednesday to answer questions about their upcoming goals and objectives. Following are short video of each coaches’ opening remarks.
- 10:01 am Tuesday, July 29th, 2014 by Chip Towers
THE TEN AT 10
1. I have to admit that I didn’t watch the season finale of “The Bachelorette” last night. In fact, the primary television set in my house blew out Monday and I spent the better part of the evening trying hook up my new “smart” TV and get it to communicate with my new cable box, which was a way more of an enormous undertaking than I expected.
That wasn’t why I didn’t tune in. Even with a Murray in the middle of it – former Bulldog Josh Murray won the hand of Atlanta’s Andi Dorfman, in [More]
- 9:54 am Monday, July 28th, 2014 by Chip Towers
MONDAY MORNING REWIND
1. It’s not going to lessen any of the negative publicity being directed at the Georgia football program at the moment, but redshirt freshman Davin Bellamy has handled his recent arrest for DUI about as well as anyone could ask.
Not long after bonding out of Athens-Clarke County Jail following his early Saturday morning arrest, Bellamy sent out a message on his Twitter account apologizing to his teammates, coaches and fans for his poor judgment and asking for a chance to earn back their trust. Nineteen-year-olds make mistakes all the time, but it seems rare [More]
- 10:58 am Tuesday, July 22nd, 2014 by Chip Towers
Apologies for the late arrival of “The Ten at 10,” but it was delayed by the development of some breaking news Tuesday morning. Here, then, is the de facto Ten at 11. …
THE TEN AT 10
1. Georgia hasn’t gone into great detail about it just yet, but the Bulldogs pretty much retooled their strength and conditioning workout routine this summer. Coach Mark Richt said part of it was to address the avalanche of injuries the team encountered last season and part of it was to adjust to the increasingly fast pace at which college football is being played.
Richt said the [More]
- 1:41 pm Monday, July 21st, 2014 by Chip Towers
1. I enjoyed hanging out for a while Saturday with my 7-year-old son at the annual UGA Countdown to Kickoff extravaganza. The charitable event, featuring current and former Georgia football players, moved to Sanford Stadium this year and that appeared to be a hit for the hundreds of Bulldogs fans that turned out despite morning rains.
I know it was for my son. Hardcore fans like getting the autographs of and pictures with current and former Georgia football stars. As for my son, he was totally jacked about being able to run barefooted from goal line to goal line on [More]
- 6:00 am Thursday, July 17th, 2014 by Chip Towers
HOOVER, Ala. – Over the past three days, 24 players, eight coaches and six administrators have taken their turns on the podiums in the grand ballroom at the Hyatt Regency Wynfrey Hotel. On Thursday morning we’ll finally get to hear from coach Mark Richt and the Georgia Bulldogs.
Georgia is the 11th of the SEC’s 14 teams to stand before the microphones and cameras at SEC Football Media Days. Richt will be accompanied by wide receiver Chris Conley, linebacker Ramik Wilson and tailback Todd Gurley.
Ole Miss, Alabama and Kentucky, in that order, will round out what has been a record week [More]
- 6:30 am Monday, July 14th, 2014 by Chip Towers
MONDAY MORNING REWIND
I’m driving over to Birmingham this morning for SEC Football Media Days, which commence just after lunch with Commissioner Mike Slive’s annual address. It’s expanding to a four-day event this year because, you know, it just hasn’t been big enough in the past.
More than 1,100 media credentials have been issued this year. There will be at least four of us AJC guys among the throng. That’s counting the illustrious Tony Barnhart, who is resurrecting his “Mr. College Football” blog on AJC.com this year. He will provide at least three updates this week.
My initial assignment was to interview former [More]
- 12:55 pm Thursday, July 10th, 2014 by Chip Towers
ATHENS – Georgia has a defensive depth chart.
If that doesn’t seem like news to you, you haven’t been paying attention to the Bulldogs since Jeremy Pruitt took over as defensive coordinator. He left spring practice saying he wouldn’t have a depth chart until Georgia opens the season against Clemson on Aug. 30 and maybe not then. His point: The competition for playing time is ongoing.
So why now? Well, the bottom line is the Bulldogs simply had to have a depth chart to include in their 2014 media guide, which came out this week. I picked up my copy on Thursday.