- 12:11 pm Monday, September 15th, 2014 by Chip Towers
ATHENS – Georgia lost to South Carolina 38-35 in its SEC opener on the road this past Saturday. The No. 13-ranked Bulldogs are now 1-1 overall, 0-1 SEC heading into Saturday’s noon game against Troy (0-3) at Sanford Stadium. Or right about where everybody expected them to be at this point.
Now for The Rewind …
1. Georgia’s decision to call a bootleg pass on first-and-goal in the fourth quarter Saturday night at South Carolina has been roundly criticized. Even coach Mark Richt said that, in retrospect, the Bulldogs probably should have “hammered it” with a Todd [More]
- 11:19 am Wednesday, August 20th, 2014 by Chip Towers
ATHENS – OK, so yesterday was a little unusual in terms of practice coverage. Normally Georgia would conduct a workout, I’d attend the media observation period early on along with other reporters and file a quick report afterward based on what I’d seen, then write some stories based on post-practice interviews.
As coach Mark Richt said, the Bulldogs “tried something different” yesterday. They practiced at Sanford Stadium and invited the UGA student body to come to watch. Thankfully, they invited the media to come as well, but that came with several preconditions. We could not take pictures or video, we could [More]
- 12:55 pm Thursday, July 10th, 2014 by Chip Towers
ATHENS – Georgia has a defensive depth chart.
If that doesn’t seem like news to you, you haven’t been paying attention to the Bulldogs since Jeremy Pruitt took over as defensive coordinator. He left spring practice saying he wouldn’t have a depth chart until Georgia opens the season against Clemson on Aug. 30 and maybe not then. His point: The competition for playing time is ongoing.
So why now? Well, the bottom line is the Bulldogs simply had to have a depth chart to include in their 2014 media guide, which came out this week. I picked up my copy on Thursday.
- 9:58 am Tuesday, June 10th, 2014 by Chip Towers
THE TEN AT 10:
1. Believe it or not, there are only 81 days until Georgia kicks off the 2014 football season against the Clemson Tigers at Sanford Stadium. For the Bulldogs, preparations are already well under way.
Sixteen of Georgia’s 20 signees moved into the Oglethorpe House dormitory and enrolled in summer-school classes last week. That group will join the returning players for summer workouts and conditioning later this week.
So where are the four other signees, you might ask? Well, they’re either already in Athens, are on their way, or are not coming.
Quarterback Jacob Park enrolled in January and wide receiver [More]
- 1:02 pm Saturday, April 5th, 2014 by Chip Towers
ATHENS – OK, I’ll be filing a more comprehensive report on Georgia’s second scrimmage of the spring practice. All or parts of it will be posted on AJC.com and MyAJC.com a little later and, of course, you can read the whole thing in the Sports section of the Sunday newspaper.
But here’s a quick rundown and a couple of videos to watch to get an idea of what happened:
The offense played much, much better than it did last week, particularly running the football.
Quarterback Hutson Mason, tailback Todd Gurley, receiver Jonathan Rumph and kicker Marshall Morgan starred for the offense.
Linebacker Ramik Wilson, [More]