- 5:44 pm Thursday, October 2nd, 2014 by Chip Towers
ATHENS – At this point, Jeremy Pruitt has got to be thinking “what next?”
Georgia’s first-year defensive coordinator and secondary coach found himself dealing with some more unexpected attrition on Thursday when he learned from team doctors that freshman Rico Johnson has been medically disqualified due to a neurological condition. Johnson had played in all four of the Bulldogs’ games as a backup cornerback and was showing great promise before a congenital spinal issue was discovered this week via medical imaging examinations.
Johnson will be able to remain on scholarship at Georgia and complete his education via the NCAA’s medical [More]
- 11:04 am Monday, August 25th, 2014 by Chip Towers
MONDAY MORNING REWIND
1. I went to Norcross on Saturday to catch coach Mark Richt and his friends in the first All Pro Dad Live event at the Long Forum on the Greater Atlanta Christian School campus.
It was a very impactful event with some very impressive speakers, including former NFL coach Tony Dungy, Fox News anchor Bret Baier, NFL executives Mark Dominick and Troy Vincent and former star athletes Charlie Ward and Danny Wuerffel, among others. Of course, comedian Jeff Foxworthy also was there and he brought down the house as usual. Foxworthy was equal parts hilarious and profound in talking [More]
- 11:19 am Wednesday, August 20th, 2014 by Chip Towers
ATHENS – OK, so yesterday was a little unusual in terms of practice coverage. Normally Georgia would conduct a workout, I’d attend the media observation period early on along with other reporters and file a quick report afterward based on what I’d seen, then write some stories based on post-practice interviews.
As coach Mark Richt said, the Bulldogs “tried something different” yesterday. They practiced at Sanford Stadium and invited the UGA student body to come to watch. Thankfully, they invited the media to come as well, but that came with several preconditions. We could not take pictures or video, we could [More]
- 1:15 pm Wednesday, July 30th, 2014 by Chip Towers
ATHENS – Georgia players will report for preseason camp on Thursday night and the Bulldogs will hit Woodruff Practice Fields for their first practice of the 2014 football season on Friday afternoon. In anticipation of that UGA’s two coordinators — Mike Bobo on offense and Jeremy Pruitt on defense — were made available to beat reporters briefly on Wednesday to answer questions about their upcoming goals and objectives. Following are short video of each coaches’ opening remarks.
- 10:01 am Tuesday, July 29th, 2014 by Chip Towers
THE TEN AT 10
1. I have to admit that I didn’t watch the season finale of “The Bachelorette” last night. In fact, the primary television set in my house blew out Monday and I spent the better part of the evening trying hook up my new “smart” TV and get it to communicate with my new cable box, which was a way more of an enormous undertaking than I expected.
That wasn’t why I didn’t tune in. Even with a Murray in the middle of it – former Bulldog Josh Murray won the hand of Atlanta’s Andi Dorfman, in [More]
- 9:58 am Tuesday, June 10th, 2014 by Chip Towers
THE TEN AT 10:
1. Believe it or not, there are only 81 days until Georgia kicks off the 2014 football season against the Clemson Tigers at Sanford Stadium. For the Bulldogs, preparations are already well under way.
Sixteen of Georgia’s 20 signees moved into the Oglethorpe House dormitory and enrolled in summer-school classes last week. That group will join the returning players for summer workouts and conditioning later this week.
So where are the four other signees, you might ask? Well, they’re either already in Athens, are on their way, or are not coming.
Quarterback Jacob Park enrolled in January and wide receiver [More]