- 9:58 am Wednesday, July 2nd, 2014 by Chip Towers
I’m actually on vacation this week, as well as half of the civilized world as it appears to me. But I didn’t want to deprive anyone of their fundamental right to read “The Ten at 10.” So I slapped this together. Hope you enjoy, and happy Independence Day everyone! …
THE TEN AT 10:
1. Hope you got a chance to read the feature story I wrote recently on tight end Jay Rome. The junior from Valdosta finally appears to be close to healthy and he predicted he would be ready to play on Aug. 31 against Clemson. With the [More]
- 5:04 pm Saturday, June 14th, 2014 by Chip Towers
ATHENS – The phone call I received Saturday afternoon wasn’t one I was expecting. I’d been trying to reach Tray Matthews to validate and comment on his tweet that he had decided to transfer to Auburn. But it wasn’t Matthews on the other end of the line.
It was Kevin Bailey.
Mr. Bailey, as I call him, is the father of Georgia junior defensive lineman Sterling Bailey. I’ve probably talked to Mr. Bailey a little more than most of the Bulldogs’ parents just because I was covering recruiting when his son committed to UGA out of East Hall High School [More]
- 9:58 am Tuesday, June 10th, 2014 by Chip Towers
THE TEN AT 10:
1. Believe it or not, there are only 81 days until Georgia kicks off the 2014 football season against the Clemson Tigers at Sanford Stadium. For the Bulldogs, preparations are already well under way.
Sixteen of Georgia’s 20 signees moved into the Oglethorpe House dormitory and enrolled in summer-school classes last week. That group will join the returning players for summer workouts and conditioning later this week.
So where are the four other signees, you might ask? Well, they’re either already in Athens, are on their way, or are not coming.
Quarterback Jacob Park enrolled in January and wide receiver [More]
- 10:12 pm Thursday, March 27th, 2014 by Chip Towers
ATHENS – Got a rare treat this afternoon as Georgia coach Mark Richt allowed reporters to watch the entire football practice. As far as I can remember, and I haven’t covered the team every year Richt has been here since 2001, but it’s the first time I recall him permitting that.
That used to be standard operating procedure in past days. I recall covering some Vince Dooley and Ray Goff practices in the late ’80s where you’re literally standing a few feet behind the ongoing drills. I’d be out there so long I’d bring sunflower seeds to help pass the time. [More]
- 7:37 pm Tuesday, March 25th, 2014 by Chip Towers
ATHENS – Georgia coach Mark Richt came a little closer Tuesday to revealing some of his disciplinary plans for the players who have run afoul of team and school policies since last season. But he stopped shortly of making a definitive ruling on the four players accused of theft.
Tray Matthews, Uriah LeMay, Jonathan Taylor and James DeLoach have continued to practice with the team since they were arrested on theft by deception charges on March 17. The Bulldogs completed their fourth practice of 15 this spring — and first in full pads — on Tuesday afternoon amid blustery conditions. All [More]