- 6:00 am Thursday, September 25th, 2014 by Chip Towers
ATHENS – In the midst of a football season, coaches normally want their players thinking about nothing but today’s homework and Saturday’s game. But Georgia coach Mark Richt welcomed a visitor to practice on Wednesday to talk to the team about something far weightier than winning an athletic contest.
Mike Lutzenkirchen spoke to the Bulldogs about the importance of making wise decisions. If you recognize his last name, he is the father of former Auburn star and NFL player Phillip Lutzenkirchen.
- 11:19 am Wednesday, August 20th, 2014 by Chip Towers
ATHENS – OK, so yesterday was a little unusual in terms of practice coverage. Normally Georgia would conduct a workout, I’d attend the media observation period early on along with other reporters and file a quick report afterward based on what I’d seen, then write some stories based on post-practice interviews.
As coach Mark Richt said, the Bulldogs “tried something different” yesterday. They practiced at Sanford Stadium and invited the UGA student body to come to watch. Thankfully, they invited the media to come as well, but that came with several preconditions. We could not take pictures or video, we could [More]
- 1:51 pm Monday, August 18th, 2014 by Chip Towers
THE MONDAY REWIND
The Georgia football team took off Sunday and Monday after practicing 19 times the first 16 days of August. They’ll return to the field on Tuesday for the final 10 days of preparation for the Aug. 30 opener against Clemson. Here’s what happened over the weekend.
1. Many people don’t realize that when the Bulldogs say they’re in preseason camp, they’re truly in a camp. For the past two weeks, 105 players and select members of the support staff have been living in hotel rooms at the Georgia Center for Continuing Education. That ended and they checked out this [More]
- 11:26 am Thursday, August 7th, 2014 by Chip Towers
ATHENS – Kolton Houston is listed as a senior on the Georgia football roster and he is approaching the 2014 season as if it will be his last.
But there remains the possibility that Houston could be back with the Bulldogs for another year. He could petition the NCAA for a sixth year of eligibility. He just won’t know if that will be an option for several months.
“From what I understand, that comes at the end of the season around bowl week,” said Houston, an offensive lineman from Buford. “That’s when all that kind of stuff happens. So I know for [More]
- 9:49 am Tuesday, August 5th, 2014 by Chip Towers
THE TEN AT 10:
1. Georgia is just four days into preseason camp and injuries are starting to become part of the 2014 storyline. The latest name added to the list is Shattle Fenteng.
Fenteng, a junior college transfer from Hutchinson Community College, was having his shoulder and arm attended to by head trainer Ron Courson early in Monday’s practice before leaving Woodruff Practice Fields for the day. UGA was unable to supply an injury update after the 90-minute workout and the hope is that there will be one at some point Tuesday.
- 10:02 am Tuesday, April 15th, 2014 by Chip Towers
THE TEN AT 10
1. I talked to quarterback Aaron Murray on Monday about his big debut as a professional in UGA’s Pro Day on Wednesday morning. Here’s a link to the story that will run in Wednesday’s newspaper.
Murray has already turned some heads with his recovery from last November’s knee surgery. Just 4 1/2 months since having ACL reconstruction surgery, Murray says he is fully recovered and will prove it to NFL executives and scouts Wednesday morning.
I talked to several people about Murray’s pro prospects and right now I’m having a hard time finding a dissenting opinion. Where [More]
- 8:02 pm Friday, March 28th, 2014 by Chip Towers
ATHENS — Georgia quarterback Hutson Mason on Friday updated reporters on the Bulldogs’ progress during spring practice. Georgia completed its sixth of 15 practices on Friday and will hold a controlled, game-simulation scrimmage on Saturday at Sanford Stadium. The scrimmage is closed to reporters and to the public.